Vast majority of gamers prefers 120 Hz monitors

Lil' ½ Dead

News Hound
Mar 9, 2009
It's been a topic of debate ever since the arrival of the first TFT monitor: is a 60 Hz refresh rate fast enough? For a long time it was nothing more than a theoretical discussion as LCD screens weren't capable of displaying more than 60 whole frames per second. A few years ago 120 Hz and even 144 Hz monitors began appearing, which reignited the discussion. These types of monitors tend to cost quite a bit more, so we set out to find out what the added value is in practice. Some people claim that gaming on a 120 Hz screen, which can display 120 frames per second, is a much nicer experience than on a 60 Hz screen.

We set up a controlled hands-on gaming session, where participants got to play on a 60 Hz monitor, and then on a 120 Hz monitor, or vice versa. The gamers were not told which one they were playing on.
With the assistance of AOC, ASUS and Tones.be, Hardware.Info organized an event on 29 June in which 50 gamers participated. Afterwards, each of them was asked to describe their gaming experience, without being told what refresh rate they had been gaming with.

It became clear pretty fast during the event that most people were able to see the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz monitors. In the course of the afternoon there were enough participants that came to the conclusion on their own that it was high time to invest in a 120 Hz display. More than a few only needed a few seconds to say whether they preferred this or the previous monitor.
In the end, 43 out of the 50 participants (86%) indicated in the questionnaire that they preferred gaming on a 120 Hz monitor. Several of the seven gamers that said otherwise used the justification that they had achieved a higher kill-ratio on the 60 Hz screen. The people who did prefer 120 Hz, tended to call the experience smoother and more fluid. Many also noticed fewer instances of tearing, described in a number of different ways.

Then we asked everyone if 120 Hz monitors improved actual gaming results. You can't draw objective conclusions based on just a single session on each type of monitor, but to get an impression we subtracted the number of deaths of each player from the amount of kills. We have the stats for 43 players, the others were lacking one thing or another. Out of the 43, 22 had a better result on 60 Hz, and 21 gamed better on 120 Hz. It would appear it makes no difference based on our test subjects, but a much larger study would be needed to draw real conclusions here.​
graph4_gameoutcomes.png

Conclusion

When 86 percent of 50 gamers indicate they prefer gaming on a 120 Hz monitor, and 88 percent also correctly identified which refresh rate their monitor had, there's no doubt about it. Gaming on a 120 Hz really does provide a superior experience. During the event we more than once heard participants exclaiming they had to get one of those 120 Hz monitors soon. One gamer really didn't look forward to going back to their own 60 Hz screen.
The added value of a 120 Hz monitor does come at a price, literally. 120 Hz monitors are definitely more expensive than 60 Hz ones, and on top of that, to get the most out of your expensive new 120 HZ monitor, you need a very powerful graphics card. You don't really want to have one without the other.

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4592/vast-majority-of-gamers-prefers-120-hz-monitors

NoobSkillz

Jul 10, 2013
120Mhz or 144Mhz is the way to go. You don't have a lot of options in the 144Mhz range, but they also have super fast response times. Most 144's are 1ms. With 120Mhz response time is under 5ms. I recommend both to people asking all the time. Nice review Lil' 1/2 Dead, this is the kind of stuff I like to read about

MattyMatt

Jul 27, 2012
They could have just asked me, could have told them that. Refresh rate > colour accuracy.

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
I know that I prefer 120Hz. TV over 60Hz. So it stands to reason it would be better to game with too.

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
I'm still confused why 120Hz isn't a standard already...

They sell them now, but they cost more. My nephew bought a 60Hz. 42" Samsung TV during a sale, and they gave him a 120Hz. screen by mistake. (gotta love walmart)
It's pretty nice.

PoLoMoTo

Nov 26, 2011
They sell them now, but they cost more. My nephew bought a 60Hz. 42" Samsung TV during a sale, and they gave him a 120Hz. screen by mistake. (gotta love walmart)
It's pretty nice.

But I have a TV thats about 5 or 6 years old (I think, might be older) thats 120Hz, why is it taking so long to become mainstream???

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
They're never adapted properly until the prices come down. These days, they are finally becomming affordable. So we can now buy them.

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
From seeing my nephew's TV during a football game,.....yeah, it's worth it. I plan to get one of them as soon as I can.

MattyMatt

Jul 27, 2012
But is it a real 120? TV manufacturer's label 60hz as 120hz because of clearmotion or clearrate or truemotion or whatever that manufacturer is calling it. I sell them and this is the truth. Typically if you want a true 120 panel you have to buy something branded as a 240. ****ing asshole marketing.

Lil' ½ Dead

News Hound
Mar 9, 2009
HDTVs from department stores use interpolation to gain 120hz.. its not true 120hz. No HDTV's are truly 120Hz, as they just interpolate black frames in between the actual frames to create smoother motion during action scenes.

Last edited:

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
But is it a real 120? TV manufacturer's label 60hz as 120hz because of clearmotion or clearrate or truemotion or whatever that manufacturer is calling it. I sell them and this is the truth. Typically if you want a true 120 panel you have to buy something branded as a 240. ****ing asshole marketing.

HDTVs from department stores use interpolation to gain 120hz.. its not true 120hz. No HDTV's are truly 120Hz, as they just interpolate black frames in between the actual frames to create smoother motion during action scenes.

I didn't know this, but I do know that his 120Mz. HD TV looks better than my two 6-year old Vizio screens do. So they do this BS marketing to get more money from squids like me? :rofl:

Lil' ½ Dead

News Hound
Mar 9, 2009
I didn't know this, but I do know that his 120Mz. HD TV looks better than my two 6-year old Vizio screens do. So they do this BS marketing to get more money from squids like me? :rofl:

My LG calls it "Tru-motion plus" (Samsung calls it Auto-motion plus), which is a pseudo-120Hz mode that's sometimes called "motion interpolation" and should not be confused with a true 120Hz refresh rate.

I got my LG 47LK520(its one of those 120hz HDTVs) to do 75hz.. true 75hz! with monitor overclock :p

Last edited:

MattyMatt

Jul 27, 2012
Like I said, you can buy units that do a true 120hz, but you typically need to buy 240hz branded ones. Amazon is pretty good in that they usually list the true hertz in the title and the clearmotion rate in the tech specs.

MattyMatt

Jul 27, 2012
My TV is advertised at 600Hz, is that even possible? :eek:
Yes and no. It is, but isn't that fast. LCD use hz to describe how they make images more clear/sharp with less motion blur while plasmas by their nature do not have motion blur issues to begin with. So a 240hz lcd can show you 240 images a second which clears up motion blur... a plasma can show you 60 a second but has no motion blur.
Wait, what? (quote of you right now)
You sort of have to understand how plasmas work to understand their hz. Because of the limitation of RGB, not every colour can be created with on and off states, but if you turn it on and off really quickly, you can. Switch between black and white quick enough and you have a grey, etc. Plasmas can do this 10 times for each image. 60hz x 10 = 600hz. They use it as a marketing term to make you understand how little motion blur they have (basically none, plasma is God). So they lie, but they don't.

Of course this is all moot because most contents is in 24 or 30 fps. Pathetic, but true. Most TVs have a compatible mode for multiple of those, most higher end Samsungs for instance run at 96hz for those 24fps movies. Most plasmas will run at 48hz, but again, no motion blur there, so it's not an issue.

I hope this makes sense. It's all in my mind somewhere because science bitches.

AverageNinja

Apr 11, 2013
^^ all right! I understand now :)
And that wait what quote, I actually said that in my head before I read that :p