The Point - Why The Xbox Is Losing

AverageNinja

Apr 11, 2013
Lmao. Dumb pricks. Xbox is losing because they made a crappy product... They shouldn't blame it on the consumer. :p

Pete

May 15, 2013
lol! haven't MS just announced that a version without the Kinect will come?? anyway, i'm not gonna pre-order either of them. Always too many bugs and problems with the 1. gen of pretty much anything, be it hardware or software.

MattyMatt

Jul 27, 2012
Softcore gamers are the majority, yes, but they do not make the consoles that much money.
The hardware makes little to negative profit. The games and peripherals is where the money is and the hardcore is who spends that money.
The softcore may kick in a year or two down the road when they buy and the hardware may actually turn a tiny profit for them. And hey, there's the online access fees. But in the grand scheme of things, you need at least a dozen softcore users to make up the one hardcore user.

N3X7Cr45h

Aug 13, 2013
Softcore gamers are the majority, yes, but they do not make the consoles that much money.
The hardware makes little to negative profit. The games and peripherals is where the money is and the hardcore is who spends that money.
The softcore may kick in a year or two down the road when they buy and the hardware may actually turn a tiny profit for them. And hey, there's the online access fees. But in the grand scheme of things, you need at least a dozen softcore users to make up the one hardcore user.

I would think that each make more off the digital sale than anything. I could be wrong.

MattyMatt

Jul 27, 2012
I would think that each make more off the digital sale than anything. I could be wrong.
True, MS takes a bigger cut there, but again, who buys digital? The hardcore. Softcore users may buy DLC to that one sports game or the one shooter they play. They'll probably even buy the online pass for xbl/psn.

The hardcore buys the pass, they buy dlc and then they buy other download only games from the marketplace too. They are a lot more invested and allot more money to their hobby.

It's not like I can give any hard numbers, but I buy a lot of games (mostly steam) and when I look at what I buy in a month, most of my friends that play more casually buy that in maybe six months to a year.
I have a friend who only plays the NHL series. He buys the game every year and a year of gold, that's it. Nothing else, ever. He has one controller and the xbox is wired.
MS makes all of 65-70 bucks off of him yearly.
I make them more than that in a month.

Now sure, if we all go PS4 next year, he would probably too since he doesn't give a **** either way, but that is not a lot of money for Sony. If I add up all my friends that are in this similar vein, they'd make Sony maybe a thousand dollars a year. I am confident I would make them that much by myself... that said, I do not intend to be an early adopter again.

TeeBlack

Jul 8, 2012
they should knock off a $100 but knowing MS they will probably do $50 and make up a story as to why it still cost more that PS4.

ARCTIC

Latest posts