Short tip for the blank screen on 8.1 upgrade

dacul

Aug 7, 2012
Short tip for the blank screen on 8.1 upgrade ( happens when you're too lazy to uninstall graphic drivers ) : if you didn't add the safe mode option and you still want to get into safe mode the easy way ( frustrating anyway) is to hold the Shift key while pressing like a maniac F8 key before turn on the machine. If you get the spinning dots, in that moment turn off your machine and restart the procedure. Be fast! If you cannot enter in safe mode and if you have a second machine than grab the hdd/ssd and manually delete the graphic driver. Once you are back do a regedit clean HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services. Live CD, Knoppix also helps, if you don't have recovery media dvds. I'll be ba ck with all the steps required. Now i'm in the process of fixing it on my HP notebook.

phenom965

Jul 12, 2012
this can be useful to many people forgetting to uninstall their graphic drivers! Thanks for posting it, Dan!

dacul

Aug 7, 2012
this can be useful to many people forgetting to uninstall their graphic drivers! Thanks for posting it, Dan!

U're welcome. I'm back now. Not that happy with this new 8.1. Long live Linux distributions!

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
Sounds like a lot of reindeer games to be playing for the "New & Improved" version of their software. (just saying,.......)

Cyberburnout

Jul 10, 2012
It suppose to have a lot of fixes to most of the complaints use had with Win8. I looked at the update last night. 3.2gb. WTF? That is not an update. That is whole new OS install. It didnt mention removing drivers either. Im going to test it out on my work PC instead of my home system first. lol

dacul

Aug 7, 2012
It suppose to have a lot of fixes to most of the complaints use had with Win8. I looked at the update last night. 3.2gb. WTF? That is not an update. That is whole new OS install. It didnt mention removing drivers either. Im going to test it out on my work PC instead of my home system first. lol
Yeah, you got it right Sandy. When i saw last night the 3.26 GB info, i was shocked. With the preview there were the same problems with the graphic drivers compatibilities, especially with the dual ones. But i trust that Microsoft would fix the problem and all the upgrade process should work fine. It worked, until the reboot. Now all is fine here. Just uninstalled the intel driver ( my hp came preinstalled with win 8 and intel+ amd drivers). Now i'm dowloading the latest drivers. Don't know why, but i have this feelling of 8.1 being a buggy os. I'll see and return with new infos.

Mgutierrez33

Aug 20, 2013
That just seems ducky. Good thing I didn't tell my family to update their Windows 8 on one of their PC's yet... I get the distinct feeling that knowing them something would go terribly wrong, and they don't live close enough for me to comfortably get to their house to help them if anything ever did go wrong.

phenom965

Jul 12, 2012
yes I'm scared too from the update. Yeah of course it's a whole new OS...not just an update. It was codenamed Windows Blue..I'm following it from much time :). Microsoft should have put a warning on their site..."download it after removing your graphic drivers...". Anyway...who upgraded to it from Windows 8? Share your thought

ARCTIC

Latest posts