New computer build suggestions

knightshade

Dec 13, 2011
Hey guys I'm thinking of building a computer for myself my primary use for this computer will be for gaming.
I am currently on a $#!%Y Compaq laptop.
I am looking to go intel for the processor,not sure which one yet though.
The reason for this post is so I can get suggestions on a complete build

My budget is between $1000 and $2000 USD.

I will be using NewEgg or TigerDirect to order my parts thanks guys.

Irocing

Oct 26, 2011
Hey guys I'm thinking of building a computer for myself my primary use for this computer will be for gaming.
I am currently on a $#!%Y Compaq laptop.
I am looking to go intel for the processor,not sure which one yet though.
The reason for this post is so I can get suggestions on a complete build

My budget is between $1000 and $2000 USD.

I will be using NewEgg or TigerDirect to order my parts thanks guys.

Have you got any of the basics yet, as Case, Power Supply ect or are you starting from scratch.
Including monitor.???

Later;)

knightshade

Dec 13, 2011
basically starting from scratch though I do have a monitor that I plan on using for it.

PoLoMoTo

Nov 26, 2011
For gaming you really only need dual core but quad core would give you the extra horsepower for other things, 6950 will run most games well (Battlefield 3 Ultra graphics) and you can get a 750 watt PSU for it unless you plan on upgrading to crossfire later then you might wanna get 1000 watts. If your not concerned about the socket being out dated you could get an i7-960 which should suit your needs perfectly, I got a Sapphire 6950 with a dual BIOS switch to unlock the shaders but now most don't have that feature you might have to search around if you want one of them. For the mobo its really up to you, Memory should be 8 GBs + and probably get Win7 Ultimate or Pro. CPU cooler if your not going to over clock you could use the stock cooler but if you want to get your money out of that processor I have heard that Zalaman coolers work very well.

Hope that helps :D

Irocing

Oct 26, 2011
basically starting from scratch though I do have a monitor that I plan on using for it.

Up to $2000.00 will build you a heck of a gaming rig if go that high since you already have the
monitor. What is it as to Resolution size ect.

If can wait, IVY platform coming out shortly with its different versions.
And if don't go that way, Prices will drop on its siblings saving money.

At the Egg thier are alot of good CPU Board combos you can save on.
I'd start with the case.
Take a look at some cases as to the ones you like the looks of and link back to start.

Is this a time sensitive build?

Later:)

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
If you have $2000 get the Intel core i7 3930K. The CPU has 8m L3 cache and rocks. I would get a Radeon 7870 at $550, a 1000 to 1100W Psu, a 120G SSD, 1T HDD. case mobo and other perifials will put ya at around $ 2000. PM me I have some X79 motherboards that will save you money.

Irocing

Oct 26, 2011
If you have $2000 get the Intel core i7 3930K. The CPU has 8m L3 cache and rocks. I would get a Radeon 7870 at $550, a 1000 to 1100W Psu, a 120G SSD, 1T HDD. case mobo and other perifials will put ya at around $ 2000. PM me I have some X79 motherboards that will save you money.

As to the card, Sure you meant 7970, But could save depending on Future Monitors, Rez, ect could save 100 bucks
going for the 7950.

As to the power Supply, A little strong unless going Heavy CF or SLI in the future.
A good 750-850W would be fine.

Would go as low as possible, Would still build a strong Game rig.
Saving would also help get 240 SSD instead of 120 for your games;)

Also going to be odds and ends like Ram, keyboard, mouse ect.

Footnote: DON'T forget the Joystick:rofl:
Later:)

Last edited:

PoLoMoTo

Nov 26, 2011
Remember though if you go with an X79 setup the mobo and processor alone will probably cost $1000 atleast

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
Polo. He said up to $2000. That leaves plenty of headroom. Also there is going to be a $300 Sandybridge E 3820 4 core..

Last edited:

PoLoMoTo

Nov 26, 2011
Just sayin, the processor you recommended is 600 dollars, 500 dollar mobo and you've already spent 1100, 120 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD 250 dollars and now you have 650 left for a case, cooler and memory but if you went with a 980 you'd get a better bang for your buck as long as your not overclocking

knightshade

Dec 13, 2011
OK I will add some additional details I will be overclocking preferably in the 4.2 to 4.5+ range,
I will be doing XFire/SLI in the future.
This is not a time sensitive build.
As to cooling I have never done water cooling but am open to it the only thing holding me back is I have no experience with water cooling and reviews for most of the all in ones say they are not very reliable.
As to cases I know I want to go with a full tower.
Here are the ones I have been looking at.

enermax fullmo gt

azza fusion 4000

cooler master haf 932 blue

and of course if money were no object and I didn't have to think of other things besides just a case
cooler master cosmos II

but I also like the look of the rosewill that was posted above.

PoLoMoTo

Nov 26, 2011
You do realize that you'll need to build an extension to your house for the azza right? XD You should check out the antec DF-85 or Twelve Hundred then you can get one one of antec's CPX form factor PSUs. Also if you wanted water cooling but don't want to build it from scratch you should get the antec Kuhler 920 or 620. The i7-980 could easily get to 4.2 GHz and for XFire of SLI you will want to get 1000 watt PSU (Antec CP-1000 if you get one of their cases). You probably want to look at mobos that suit your needs first though look for key things like the number of Sata ports, does it have Sata 3, USB 3 etc. This will narrow down the processor for you.

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
Just sayin, the processor you recommended is 600 dollars, 500 dollar mobo and you've already spent 1100, 120 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD 250 dollars and now you have 650 left for a case, cooler and memory but if you went with a 980 you'd get a better bang for your buck as long as your not overclocking

Polo, He has $2000. he is much more futureproof and that does not neccesarily make it a better bang for the buck. If he keeps the X79 build for 3 or 4 years the nbetter bang is with Intel. $650 for case cooler and memory can get him liquid cooling if desired. Some times it is better to watch. If he was on a tighter budger, the P II 980 would be a better choice but good luck finding one. They are no longer produced.

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
OK I will add some additional details I will be overclocking preferably in the 4.2 to 4.5+ range,
I will be doing XFire/SLI in the future.
This is not a time sensitive build.
As to cooling I have never done water cooling but am open to it the only thing holding me back is I have no experience with water cooling and reviews for most of the all in ones say they are not very reliable.
As to cases I know I want to go with a full tower.
Here are the ones I have been looking at.

enermax fullmo gt

azza fusion 4000

cooler master haf 932 blue

and of course if money were no object and I didn't have to think of other things besides just a case
cooler master cosmos II

but I also like the look of the rosewill that was posted above.
PM me if you go with a X79 motherbaord Knight. I have a few of them for ya.

PC_User

Feb 5, 2012
dont forget NCIX .us does price matching and have good pricing, looking good so far