New Build I7-5930

lakeside2189

Jun 30, 2012
I went with the 5930 instead of the 5960 mostly because I like to clock it up a bit....Also re-did the custom loop and will be adding another GTX 980...I haven't clocked it yet...running at stock 3.7 to break it in a bit..

I also went with the Asus X99 Deluxe and 16 gb of Corsair V DDR4 ram..

lakeside2189

Jun 30, 2012
the 5930 runs 5 degrees cooler on each core than the 3930...it could be the EK..ill find out more when I start to clock it..

Gu3

Dec 15, 2014
Looking great...be interesting to see how it Overclocks!

Note: See Sandy somebody else with ODD's. THREE! That's not to say that Define S doesn't still have my name on it, but I'm not the only one in the world that still uses ODD's there's at least TWO of us now! Woot!!!!

Gotta Love that Mountain Mods case...HUGE.

Thanks Lakeside!

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
It looks great and runs like a demon too. I love it.

It's gonna be a while for my X99 build, but I'm excited about doing it.

I haven't chosen a CPU yet. It's the only thing that I still need.

Cyberburnout

Jul 10, 2012
Note: See Sandy somebody else with ODD's. THREE! That's not to say that Define S doesn't still have my name on it, but I'm not the only one in the world that still uses ODD's there's at least TWO of us now! Woot!!!!

There are 3 of you now. Neil uses those bays too. :p

Nice setup. Scores look pretty good for a single GPU. A 2nd will be killer. That case is a monster!

lakeside2189

Jun 30, 2012
I choose the 5930 because of the chance to overclock it near 5.0 when benching..It didn't really have to do with MONEY..what drive bays do you mean??? I also really think the EK EVO is something special..I have never had the cores of any 6 core run this cool...around 22 at 3.7...also I will be adding another MSI 980 in about a week..im an older guy who really loves to OC on water...the Haswell brings something new to the party!!!!

Gu3

Dec 15, 2014
I choose the 5930 because of the chance to overclock it near 5.0 when benching..It didn't really have to do with MONEY..what drive bays do you mean??? I also really think the EK EVO is something special..I have never had the cores of any 6 core run this cool...around 22 at 3.7...also I will be adding another MSI 980 in about a week..im an older guy who really loves to OC on water...the Haswell brings something new to the party!!!!

Disregard the comments about Drive bays Lakeside. That just comes from the Fractal Define S news article that Sandy posted earlier in another thread. Much humor was thrown about because I use Optical Drives (still), and the Fractal Define S has no drive bays (detracting from it's otherwise awesomeness, in my opinion, adding to it's awesomeness in the opinion of others). Having come from that thread prior to reading yours, I pointed out that you were using THREE drive bays in that monster case of yours...so just a bit of humor aimed in Sandy's general direction.

Your machine is shaping up to be awesome.

Scott

Cyberburnout

Jul 10, 2012
Disregard the comments about Drive bays Lakeside. That just comes from the Fractal Define S news article that Sandy posted earlier in another thread. Much humor was thrown about because I use Optical Drives (still), and the Fractal Define S has no drive bays (detracting from it's otherwise awesomeness, in my opinion, adding to it's awesomeness in the opinion of others). Having come from that thread prior to reading yours, I pointed out that you were using THREE drive bays in that monster case of yours...so just a bit of humor aimed in Sandy's general direction.

Your machine is shaping up to be awesome.

Scott

all told he is using 5 drive bays. 3 for ODD and 2 for Fan Controllers. 1 more is window into his PC guts :rofl:

There is nothing wrong with having 5.25 bays, I just do not use them much. maybe a bayres or Fan controller here and there. Never for an ODD. All I need is drive space and a broadband connection and I will take care of the filling those drives up. :p

Smiki007

Apr 5, 2011
For years I've never used ODD bays, always use external ODD drives, recently (last year), I start to use them (one for my Fan Controller, and another for ASUS OC Panel), still have 3 more with no use (obsidian 900d case). Internal ODD will disappear same way as 3.5" floppy drives.

Gu3

Dec 15, 2014
For years I've never used ODD bays, always use external ODD drives, recently (last year), I start to use them (one for my Fan Controller, and another for ASUS OC Panel), still have 3 more with no use (obsidian 900d case). Internal ODD will disappear same way as 3.5" floppy drives.

Absolutely. As soon as the Media Idiots start distributing Blu-Ray content on SD cards, I'll get rid of my ODD's, and a few minutes later the 5.25" bays...until then? Well, I use my ODD's every time a new BD comes into the house, so an external just doesn't fit the bill (too much hassle).

S.

Scott

ARCTIC

Latest posts