Looking to move into modular watercooling

cronos1013

Mar 23, 2012
So last year I picked up an H70 for my current i7 rig...but now it's time to do some upgrading again, and this time i've decided I am going to go modular watercooling, and this what I am leaning towards for a setup, but I wanted some input from more experienced users.

Yesterday I ordered an EVGA 680 GTX so I want to get a waterblock for that and for my chip (i7 950 overclocked, waiting for Ivy bridge for that upgrade).

Is there a standard "good combination" of pump/block/reservoir. After reading the beginner's guide I decided that I definitely want to use the 1/2" tubing not the smaller stuff as I have a large case, and I would like a large radiator, go big or go home right....

For a pump I was thinking of the MCP655 www.amazon.com/Swiftech-MCP655-B-Pump-Liquid-Cooling/dp/B004JYBXE0

F
or a reservoir I was going to splurge because it looked neat and buy the FrozenQ's double helix one
www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_318_708&products_id=32045

A
s far as the chipset block I was looking at the EK Supreme HF. I'm not in love with this thing...but it got pretty good reviews so that's why I picked it. If there is a better one...let me know?

www.amazon.com/EK-Supreme-HF-Nickel-Acetal-Water/dp/B005DUD2ES/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332514717&sr=1-1

For a radiator I was leaning towards the Aquacomputer Airplex Revolution with 6 fans in push/pull on it.
www.aquatuning.us/product_info.php/info/p8242_Aquacomputer-airplex-Revolution-420-360-G1-4.html

As far as cooling juice and tubing (and barbs)...I have no idea and everything I read seems like an advertisement..is there any real difference? If there is please let me know, so I'll have an idea of what to buy.

Thanks!

Chris

*Edit*

OK so i've done some looking, specifically I looked at the Apogee HD waterblock, and heard about the Raystorm instead.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/xsracpuwaifu.html

H
as anyone used one of these? What do you think of them?

Last edited:

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
I am a huge fan of Thermalchill. I have 2 rigs and use the PA 120.3 and TA 120.3. They are flawless and IMO, are one of the best. Your pump choice is perfect but for waterblock, the New Apogee HD that Deton just reviewed is awesome and pretty kick ass looking and top performing. Res is a crapshhoot so any will do.

I would go for;

Apogee HD
Thermalchill TA 120.3
Liang MCP 655

Good luck.

cronos1013

Mar 23, 2012
I am a huge fan of Thermalchill. I have 2 rigs and use the PA 120.3 and TA 120.3. They are flawless and IMO, are one of the best. Your pump choice is perfect but for waterblock, the New Apogee HD that Deton just reviewed is awesome and pretty kick ass looking and top performing. Res is a crapshhoot so any will do.

I would go for;

Apogee HD
Thermalchill TA 120.3
Liang MCP 655

Good luck.

I'll have to look up the new Apogee HD block.

As far as the Thermachill TA120.3, I actually found a comparison in which both the TA 120.3 and the Aquacomputing Airplex Revolution were compared head to head with the same pump, same waterblock, etc, and the Revolution was the best performer in the group. It was from October 2011, so I'm not sure how new stuff which has been released since then compares.

Now as far as fluid, what do you use? Is there a difference?

-Chris

cronos1013

Mar 23, 2012
OK so after some extensive review reading, and then some sad time with a tape measure, it has become apparent that my Dark Fleet DF-85 is not internal radiator friendly. Not if I don't want to hack it to pieces with a Dremel too.

With this new revelation that I will be externally mounting the radiator has kind of set me free however, so I have decided to look towards a different setup.

Has anyone used a Watercool MO-RA3 PRO? (and what is the difference between the 22000 and the 22020)

Are there any other 120.9 setups which perform exceptionally well?

Doctor_Death

Banned
Apr 25, 2008
If your still planning on using the FrozenQ Dual Bay Res,m send me a PM, I have two of them, one of them has a Swiftech pump installed, and neither one has been used.

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
OK so after some extensive review reading, and then some sad time with a tape measure, it has become apparent that my Dark Fleet DF-85 is not internal radiator friendly. Not if I don't want to hack it to pieces with a Dremel too.

With this new revelation that I will be externally mounting the radiator has kind of set me free however, so I have decided to look towards a different setup.

Has anyone used a Watercool MO-RA3 PRO? (and what is the difference between the 22000 and the 22020)

Are there any other 120.9 setups which perform exceptionally well?

You do not need a 120.9. That is massive overkill. If you ever upgrade, Sandybridge 32nm and Ivybridge 22nm run cooler than your 950. A 120.3 will easily handle a 950 with and 2 x GPU's on the market. A 120.9 is large and a waste of space and will cool essentially the same as a quality 120.3 rad.