Imaging Standard HD to SSD Question

Solara2xb

Apr 20, 2011
Hey All,

Just a quick question, I was able to get a couple of SSD's for a really good deal, I am looking to install a SSD into my wife's computer but I don't want to do a fresh format or install (wife has way to many programs and other items on there). I know that when installed Win7 it will see the SSD and installed the win7 with the SSSd benefits. However if I just imaged the OS on the standard HD to a SSD will I run into any issues.

I haven't done this before so I just want to make sure before I do. All the other SSD's I have I have done a fresh OS install. I have imaged one SSD to another SSD before and I know that has no known issues.

I will be using acronis to do the image.
Will Win7 now know that its a SSD installed and TRIM and other features within Win7 take advantage of the SSD is my question.

Thanks

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
No issues, i have done this with many solid state drives. You could use Todos too.

PoLoMoTo

Nov 26, 2011
As long as nothing else changes your good, I have moved hard drives between computers before and ever since vista they never work right.

Solara2xb

Apr 20, 2011
Cool... Ill probably do that when I have time...Just wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger, If I leave my wife without her computer she will shoot me.. lolz.. she uses it everyday for her stuff. lolz

PoLoMoTo

Nov 26, 2011
Then ya did something wrong. I never have had issues.

Well they're not really crippling issues its just they never work as well as they did in the old computer, the resolution is often screwed up and because its not the same system things that start on startup stop responding because the hardware they need isn't there. Just annoying little things like that.

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
Cool... Ill probably do that when I have time...Just wanted to make sure before I pulled the trigger, If I leave my wife without her computer she will shoot me.. lolz.. she uses it everyday for her stuff. lolz

If it doesn't work, throw the old drive back into the system. Don't erase it for a month at least! LOL!
I've done exactly what you're talking about doing several times with the same cloning software. No problems at all.
When I'm gonna move a drive to a new system with a different motherboard, I put the proper drivers into a folder on the desktop for quick access after the clone. No problems at all.

Win-7 makes it easy.

Last edited:

m.oreilly

Feb 22, 2012
as long as you are using recent cloning apps that are ssd/alignment aware, no problem. make sure you are using the latest acronis, and after you are done, double check your alignment by opening up as-ssd on the ssd (don't have to run it). if her system was installed under ide, you may want to do the reg hack and set bios to ahci to get the best out of the ssd.

ARCTIC

Latest posts