Deton

OC Jedi Master
Dec 7, 2006
blackbox_project.jpg

Approximately about a year ago I designed and built this tech table. Worklog here, the main goal was to fit many radiators in it as possible and easily swapping the water blocks. I've achieved all that but I'm still having 100% satisfied with the design after a year of used. There is some inconvenience issues with accessing the lower deck when it clusters with all the components and tubing are installed.

Deton_FTB_WC015.jpg
Deton_FTB_WC019.jpg

Today, I'm going to build another station with a new design; "BlackBox". Why I call it BlackBox?

Well, in science and engineering, a black box is a device which can be view its input and output transfer characteristics. However, in my PC computing I will be using this box for hardware testing, mainly for water cooling gears. BlackBox provides me all the results of whatever H20 products tested. You get the idea.

Here's the design concept, it's 99% make out of wood except the mounting hardware. It's a closed case design to hide all the cluster of the cables and coolant tubes.

Main features: Motherboard tray (lid) is hydraulic lift supports, support ATX & E-ATX mainboard, easy access to two 360mm radiators, reservoir, pump and tubing. Supports 2x HDDs and 2x SSDs.

View attachment 2112View attachment 2113View attachment 2114

killjoyjim

Dec 4, 2011
Y dont you make it out of pvc or pexie glass? Go to freckle face.com they will cut it to you're need's

Bob2701

Feb 20, 2010
Lol, I checked out this link because I used to work for a company named Blackbox. B)

Irocing

Oct 26, 2011
blackbox_project.jpg

Approximately about a year ago I designed and built this tech table. Worklog here, the main goal was to fit many radiators in it as possible and easily swapping the water blocks. I've achieved all that but I'm still having 100% satisfied with the design after a year of used. There is some inconvenience issues with accessing the lower deck when it clusters with all the components and tubing are installed.

Deton_FTB_WC015.jpg
Deton_FTB_WC019.jpg

Today, I'm going to build another station with a new design; "BlackBox". Why I call it BlackBox?

Well, in science and engineering, a black box is a device which can be view its input and output transfer characteristics. However, in my PC computing I will be using this box for hardware testing, mainly for water cooling gears. BlackBox provides me all the results of whatever H20 products tested. You get the idea.

Here's the design concept, it's 99% make out of wood except the mounting hardware. It's a closed case design to hide all the cluster of the cables and coolant tubes.

Main features: Motherboard tray (lid) is hydraulic lift supports, support ATX & E-ATX mainboard, easy access to two 360mm radiators, reservoir, pump and tubing. Supports 2x HDDs and 2x SSDs.

View attachment 2112View attachment 2113View attachment 2114

Thats Purty slick:thumbsupbig:

Thinking about doing something like that for a couple old P11 setups want to start playing with.

Used to play the older games and apps.

I'm ply wood though as to poor boy here.

Will follow this.
Have fun.

Later;)

realneil

Sep 23, 2011
Lol, I checked out this link because I used to work for a company named Blackbox. B)

Ha! I dated a girl in my twenties that was called that. (And that was because to all the other guys, she was a ~secret~)

She fell quickly to my half-breed charms,.....:rofl:

Deton

OC Jedi Master
Dec 7, 2006
Y dont you make it out of pvc or pexie glass? Go to freckle face.com they will cut it to you're need's
they are way more expensive than wood. Acetal cost 4x than wood, Acrylic 3x expensive, and for durability you have to use 1/2" thick sheet....Yike!
It's not particle. I want to keep the cost down, if the material cost over $200 for this project then I might just buy Benchatto or Dimastech station instead.

Anyway, if this design works out good then I might do a revision out of aluminum.

Ponoko would probably be better for this application.
I wish I have the CNC thought. Once day I will build one. I don't have a blueprint for this project, just the above sketches. All the dimensions are measured on the fly.

@Ironcing; It's nothing wrong to use plywood. Last tech station I built from 1/2" plywood but 3/4" solid wood are better choice for this new design because I don't want to do the trim for the edges.

Irocing

Oct 26, 2011
they are way more expensive than wood. Acetal cost 4x than wood, Acrylic 3x expensive, and for durability you have to use 1/2" thick sheet....Yike!
It's not particle. I want to keep the cost down, if the material cost over $200 for this project then I might just buy Benchatto or Dimastech station instead.

Anyway, if this design works out good then I might do a revision out of aluminum.

I wish I have the CNC thought. Once day I will build one. I don't have a blueprint for this project, just the above sketches. All the dimensions are measured on the fly.

@Ironcing; It's nothing wrong to use plywood. Last tech station I built from 1/2" plywood but 3/4" solid wood are better choice for this new design because I don't want to do the trim for the edges.

Have some nice hardwood flooring panels left over from our home floor additions.

Might use that as have the trim to.
Use the Pci lane panel out of the P11's.

Later;)

Doctor_Death

Banned
Apr 25, 2008
Good job Tony! when the news ones finished you can send this one to me, you know I'll put it to good use.

KIPPER

Banned
Jan 6, 2010
Tony, you better setup to mass produce, you just might have a big money maker going on here.

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
What would be cool, move the optical over and make a small drawer fot small tools and misc parts.

Deton

OC Jedi Master
Dec 7, 2006
seriously what are you going to store, loose screws?

I have Antec P180, it has a little box for storage but I never really have a good use for it. Because I have a little case with compartments for storage.

Drdeath

Banned
May 8, 2010
seriously what are you going to store, loose screws?

I have Antec P180, it has a little box for storage but I never really have a good use for it. Because I have a little case with compartments for storage.

Called convienience. Just sayin, LiL screwdriver, partds, sli or crossfire bridge..... Give it a little something more.