Xigmatek Balder SD1283
Specifications & Package
The Balder features Heatpipe Direct Touch (HDT) technology, and while it is a tower-style design like all top coolers, the HDT differs from "traditional" heatpipes in that these heatpipes directly touch the CPU instead of a plate. This should theoretically allow greater, more efficient heat transfer since the heatpipes do not have to be attached to a heat plate which can act as a barrier. This certainly is an innovative idea and seems a natural evolution of heatpipe technology, and we’ll see how it performs very soon.
According to Xigmatek, here are the major features of the Balder:
"Balder, God of Light & Beauty, is the first HDT product which comes with Mirror HDT base which makes HDT cooling performance outmatching to others. It is compatibility with Intel Core i5 (LGA 1156), Core i7 (LGA 1366), LGA775 & AMD AM2/AM3. It is not only bright Nickel heat-sink and white LED fan, but also dual fan installation option.Balder SD1283, it will make you fulfilled with ?Performance? & ?Beauty?. "
The features for the Balder are as follows:
- H.D.T (Heat-pipe Direct touch Technology).
- Mirror HDT base to provide better performance.
- Support for LGA1156 (core i5), LGA1366 (core i7) & LGA775; AM2/AM3 & K8
- Dual fan installed option and Anti-vibration rubbers attached.
- Mounting system, Spring-Screw and consolidate back plate
- Whole heat-sink bright nickel and with white LED fan.
- 3pcs Φ8mm high performance heat-pipes.
- PWM fan to adjust the power of the fan efficiently.
- Friendly installation.
The specifications for the Balder are as follows:
- Product: CAC-SXHH3-U06
- Compatibility: Intel 775/1156/1366, AM2/AM3/K8
- Heatpipes: 3 x 2 Copper heat pipes, 8mm diamater
- Material: High grade aluminum alloy fins, copper heatpipes (nickel coated)
- Fan Size: 120mm x 120mm x 25mm
- Fan Speed: 1000-2200 RPM
- Bearing Type: Long life Bearing
- Air Flow: 89.45 CFM (Max)
- Air Pressure: 4.1 mmH2O (Max.)
- Noise Level: 30.1 dBA
- Fan Connector: 4 pin with PWM
- Fan Colour: Black with white LED
- Dimensions: 120(W) x 50(D) x (H)159mm
- Weight: 700g (with fan)
The packaging of the cooler is not your standard cardboard box; it is a plastic material that is both flexible and strong, and features a colour scheme that is a distinct departure from Xigmatek’s past design, instead using a clear encasement with black and teal-coloured accents. This is likely a tie-in to the Balder name, which means god of "light and beauty", and we can see how this is thematically implemented in the design of the packaging. Hey, we’re not just computer freaks, we notice this stuff! It is quite visually striking, and we hope this new material is perhaps more environmentally friendly and not simply cheaper to produce.
The accessories are sufficient and well-made, there are all the necessary mounting brackets for various AMD and Intel sockets, rubber fan mounting grommets, a well-written and pictorial installation manual, and thermal paste. The Balder is compatible with both Intel LGA1156 and LGA1366 by means of a backplate, so we’ll be testing both of those platforms today.
Here we see the packaging and accessories of the Balder SD1283:
Let’s take a closer look at the heatsink itself.