OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
Features and Specifications
Below are the key features of the OCZ Vertex 3 240GB:
- SATA III / 6Gbps
- Implements SandForce 2281 Client SSD Processor
- Enhanced BCH ECC capability
- Supports SATA-7 Security Erase
- Efficient Write Amplification Factor of less than 1 (4K database transfer workload)
- Significantly improved performance over previous generation (delivers 20% faster IOPS, and 40% faster sequential read/write throughputs)
- Consumer solution that implements cost-effective2Xnm MLC NAND Flash to deliver an excellent balance of performance and reliability
- MTBF: 2 Million Hours
- 3 Year Warranty
Below are the key specifications:
- Max Read: 550 MB/s
- Max Write: 525 MB/s
- 4KB Random Write (aligned): Up to 60,000 IOPS
*Achieved on Intel Sandy Bridge platform which is recommended to show full potential of the drive
Note the asterisk above: to achieve the full speed potential of the Vertex 3, an Intel P67 platform is recommended. And after seeing what this drive can do, we daresay required if you want to see what it can really do. Onboard Marvell controllers simply will not unleash its full potential, so keep that in mind if you have an X58 motherboard because you will not experience top performance with the Vertex 3 in that setup.
Our sample is a pre-retail engineering Beta sample, so it came in a plain brown cardboard box, so unfortunately no photos to show of the retail packaging just yet. However, past on our past experience with OCZ SSD products, we’ll wager that the retail box will be a sleek black-and-white (possibly silver accented) monochromatic box, not unlike the last few solid state products we’ve seen from OCZ.
Let’s take a closer look at the OCZ Vertex 3 itself.