Features and Specifications
Let’s begin talking about “Experience.” I’m not talking about the stuff you need to level characters in RPGs. I’m talking about how after all the benchmarks, numbers and tests are done, how does a product feel? In the computer world, almost any aspect of a part can have a quantitative value placed on it to measure how good the end experience is. However, what if there are some things that can’t be measured so easily? I believe some of the Ryzen features, while hard to measure, can help add to the experience the end user has. The Neural Net Prediction and Smart Prefetch may not translate to a specific number, but they may add to a smoother “Experience” when using a computer on a day-to-day basis. There’s other features, but we’ll go through more of them as the review progresses.
Cool and quiet processor operation using a sophisticated grid of smart sensors.
- Monitors CPU temperature, resource usage, and power draw
- Adaptive control optimizes power draw for any workload
- Minimized power consumption reduces system heat and noise
Fine-tuned processor performance adjusted in real time to meet the performance demands of your game or app.
- Adjusts clockspeeds in 25MHz increments to optimize performance
- Clockspeed changes can occur without pausing work
- High precision tuning with 25MHz increments
Extended Frequency Range
Automatic extra performance boost for enthusiasts with premium systems and processor cooling.
- Permits CPU speeds above and beyond ordinary Precision Boost limits
- Clockspeed scales with cooling solution: air, water, and LN2
- Fully automated; no user input required
- Available on select AMD Ryzen processors
Neural Net Prediction
Built-in artificial intelligence that primes your processor to tackle your app workload more efficiently.
- A true neural network inside every AMD Ryzen processor
- Builds a temporary map of how your programs use the CPU
- Prepares the fastest processor pathways for your app’s behaviors
Learning algorithms that predict and pre-load needed data for fast and responsive computing.
- Learns how your applications access their own data
- Sophisticated algorithms anticipate and pre-load that data into the AMD Ryzen processor
- Vital data is ready when you are, enabling peak performance
Alright! Let’s look a bit closer at these specifications on these chips. AMD sent three processors, the Ryzen 7 1800X, 1700X and 1700. There are three main differences from each chip. The obvious one is clockspeeds, since you’d expect the flagship to have the best frequencies. We also have a lower TDP on the 1700, but another key difference that “X” models have is a better built in boost speed. The “Extended Frequency Range,” or XFR for short, allows up to a full 100 MHz boost speed above the base and turbo clocks if you have the proper cooling. This is great for those who like that extra performance without having to do any manual overclocking.
||Ryzen 7 1800X
||Ryzen 7 1700X
||Ryzen 7 1700
|# of CPU Cores
|# of Threads
|Base Clock Speed
|Max Turbo Core Speed
|Total L1 Cache
|Total L2 Cache
|Total L3 Cache
|Default TDP / TDP
Finally, we have a brand new chipset from AMD to go with the Ryzen chips. Technically, there’s several, but we’ll be focusing on the X370 since that’s what came with our chips. Not to mention, it’s probably the main one overclockers will be interested in as well, with certain exceptions leaning toward the B350 chipset. We finally have PCIe 3.0 graphics card slots for enthusiast AMD chips!!!! This will be important for the dual R9 290s I have to test with. We also have DDR4 memory compatibility, native control of all USB 3.1 and lower ports, and support for M.2 and SATA Express storage.
AMD Socket AM4 Platform
Ready for AMD Ryzen™ processors – AMD Socket AM4 represents the company’s new future-proof platform targeting the fastest DDR4 memory, PCIe® 3.0, and NVMe technologies available, as well as the first native USB 3.1 Gen2 support on a chipset. With processor-direct SATA and USB connectivity, configurable for real-world flexibility, the new AM4 platform takes advantage of the leading-edge features of today, and tomorrow.
CHIPSET FEATURES (EVERY AM4 PROCESSOR IS COMPATIBLE WITH EVERY AM4 CHIPSET)
||PCI Express® Gen3 Graphics*
||USB 3.1 G2 + 3.1 G1 + 2.0
||SATA + NVMe
||1×16/2×8 (AMD Ryzen™) 1×8 (A-Series/AMD Athlon™)
||6 + x2 NVMe (or 4 SATA plus 1 x4 NVMe on AMD Ryzen™ Processor)
|SATA Express*(SATA & GPP PCIe G3*)
||PCI Express® GP*
||Dual PCI Express® slots
||x8 Gen2 (plus x2 PCIe Gen3 when no x4 NVMe)