Everyone may be waiting for Zen, but that doesn’t mean AMD doesn’t have a few more releases up their sleeves before the end of the year. The Athlon X4 845 is the latest budget minded chip to help pass the time until their new architecture arrives. What’s nice about the 845 is the fact that it uses the latest Excavator cores instead of the Steamroller ones. AMD designed the Carrizo architecture to put an emphasis on power efficiency, but ever since the backlash from Zambezi, single-thread performance is one of the first things people look for with new releases. We’ll certainly check that out but there’s something else that really needs to be pointed out in AMD’s new design choices.
The stock cooler is the bane of CPU existence. They’re SOOO bad! With all that noise, inefficient cooling, as well as cheap designs, many feel like their hard earned dollars are slightly wasted with such skimpy designs. AMD is trying to change that by redesigning all of their stock coolers. Pure Overclock already got to check out the Wraith cooler and it was a hit. Now, we’ll get to also see how AMD’s lowest budget cooler performs as well. If Zen manages to complete the direction AMD is on, there is no doubt they will start changing the market in good ways. We’ll see how the Athlon X4 845 measures up, but before we do that, let’s take a quick word from team Red themselves.
At AMD, we live our core values through our actions. This helps drive our business. Being a socially and environmentally responsible business is an important part of AMD’s culture – The AMD Way. We believe that our employees are motivated to work hard and innovate when they see their jobs as their cause, and we offer ample opportunity for them to make a meaningful difference through the everyday work that they do.
The AMD Way is about Commitment and Ownership, Customer Focus, and Innovation and Leadership. We support those core beliefs through:
- Achievement: We plan and play to win in all we do, every time. Every day matters.
- Accountability: We build trust by honoring our commitments.
- Alignment: We work as one AMD to debate, decide, embrace and execute.
- Agility: We continuously learn and improve in all aspects of our business.
When we look at our accomplishments, we look through the filter of our company culture, asking if we got there the right way—The AMD Way.
Are you up for the challenge?
Our employees thrive on challenge and aren’t afraid to test limits. Together, they drive the innovations that break the barriers of technology.
- First chip to break the 1 GHZ Barrier (2000)
- First x86 dual-core processor (2004)
- First Accelerated Processing Unit (2010)
Our employees energize the industry, helping our customers win and building learning for a lifetime.
- World’s highest performing processors for 1-8P x86 servers and workstations (2005)
- The World’s First Fully DirectX ® 11-Capable Graphics Card (2009)
- World record-breaking CPU (2011)
Change the World
Our employees make a world of difference, leading sustainable global communities, inspiring customer trust with innovative products and building a company to last.
- Climate Innovation Index Leader (Maplecroft Climate Innovation Index (CII))
- 100 Best Corporate Citizens List 2010 (Corporate Responsibility Officer Magazine)
- Top 500 Green Companies in the United States (Newsweek Magazine)