AMD Radeon Software Releases Crimson 17.7.2 with Enhanced Sync and Color Saturation
Most driver releases are copy and paste ordeals, but this one is a bit bigger than that. Radeon continues to take feedback and make it reality, which is why their driver landscape is better than it’s ever been. With one great new feature and one huge throwback setting added in this update, you should definitely download this driver if you own compatible AMD GPUs.
The new feature I want to point out is Enhanced Sync. This allows you to exceed your monitors refresh rate, but not have the tearing that typically comes with that. V-Sync is also supposed to help, but the input lag can be extremely noticeable, except with the possibility of Triple-Buffering, but not all games have that feature. This is similar to Nvidia’s Fast Sync, but the ability to decrease stutter below the refresh rate is something unique to Radeon. The throwback feature that I’m super glad is back is Color Saturation. All my life, I’ve used a tiny saturation boost to make the colors pop on all of my screens and remember discovering that I couldn’t find the setting anymore. Not only is it back, but all of the additional settings are completely incorporated into Radeon settings now.
It turns out that AMD can bring in the new and the nostalgic feelings in one, simple driver update. It’s a bit surprising that it releases as a second driver version this month, but hey, I’m not complaining. Check out the release notes below because there is far more going on than the two features I was excited about. Meanwhile, I’ll be heading home to boost some saturation and enjoy bright colors in WoW and Battlerite!
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2 Highlights
New Features and Improvements
▪ Radeon Additional Settings has been retired and its previously supported controls for Switchable Graphics, Color Depth and Pixel Format have all been moved into Radeon Settings.
▪ Now supports bitrates up to 100Mbps for recording or capturing.
▪ Added new controls for camera transparency.
▪ Optimized memory usage for lower overhead while recording or capturing.
▪ Added new notifications for Instant Replay Saving, Recording Timers in Overlay Toolbar and Network Connectivity Issues when streaming.
▪ Enhanced Audio Controls: Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition now has support for customizable microphone volume controls, audio boost for captured replays and push to talk (mouse + keyboard) support for microphone.
▪ Now supports DirectX®12 and VulkanTM. For more details on new and supported games visit
▪ Now supports Multi-GPU.
▪ Now supports Hybrid Graphics system configurations.
▪ Now supports Radeon XConnectTM Technology system configurations.
▪ Enhanced Sync is a display technology which helps minimize screen tearing while decreasing latency and stuttering at an unlocked frame rate. Enhanced Sync is available in Radeon Settings Game Manager under the “Wait for Vertical Refresh” drop down menu. Per-Display Color Controls(4)
▪ Per-Display Color Controls are now available through the “Display” tab of Radeon Settings allowing users to configure Brightness, Hue, Contrast and Saturation. Game Responsiveness(5)
▪ Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2 features optimizations for improved gaming responsiveness
in DirectX®9 and select DirectX®11 gaming titles.
▪ Now supports memory underclocking.
▪ Now supports power state controls.
Frame Rate Target Control(7)
▪ Now supports DirectX®12 and Multi-GPU.
▪ Shader Cache is now supported for select DirectX®9 titles.
Radeon Software Vanguard Beta Program
▪ The Radeon Software Vanguard Beta Tester program aims at opening a channel for selected participants to work directly with AMD, giving a voice and platform to share their passion for Radeon Software. For more information about Radeon Software Vanguard program visit www.Radeon.com/Vanguard.
Radeon.com Feedback and Feature Voting
▪ Radeon Software feedback and feature voting has been updated. Visit www.radeon.com/feedback to provide Radeon Software feedback and vote on future Radeon Software features.
▪ Mass EffectTM: Andromeda may experience incorrect colors when using an HDR display and a secondary SDR display connected in extended mode.
▪ Fan speeds when using Radeon WattMan may remain elevated and not drop back to idle states after 3D workloads.
▪ Some video playback applications may experience stutter in fullscreen with AMD FreeSyncTM technology enabled.
▪ Radeon ReLive may exhibit corruption in recordings when capturing Microsoft Office applications.
▪ Radeon ReLive may experience recording or streaming issues when task switching using ALT+TAB.
(1) Radeon ReLive updates are compatible with: AMD RadeonTM Graphics Core Next-based Products. Supports: Windows® 7/10.
(2) Radeon Chill updates are compatible with RadeonTM consumer graphics products in supported DirectX®9, DirectX®11, DirectX®12 and Vulkan games for Windows®7/10. For more details and a whitelist of supported games, see http://www.radeon.com/chill GD-121. Dual graphics configurations not supported.
(3) Compatible with: AMD RadeonTM RX 400 & 500 series GPUs. Supports: DirextX® 9, 11, 12 & Windows® 7/10.
(4) Compatible with: AMD RadeonTM GCN products. Supports: Windows® 7/10.
(5) Compatible with: AMD RadeonTM GCN products in DirectX®9 and select DirectX®11 games for Windows® 7/10.
(6) Overclocking AMD processors, including without limitation, altering clock frequencies / multipliers or memory timing / voltage, to operate beyond their stock specifications will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even when such overclocking is enabled via AMD hardware and/or software. This may also void warranties offered by the system manufacturer or retailer. Users assume all risks and liabilities that may arise out of overclocking AMD processors, including, without limitation, failure of or damage to hardware, reduced system performance and/or data loss, corruption or vulnerability. GD-106. Memory underclocking is compatible with: AMD RadeonTM RX 500 Series. Supports: Windows® 7/10. Power State Controls are Compatible with: AMD RadeonTM RX 400 & 500 series GPUs. Supports: Windows® 7/10. See disclaimer section for more information on overclocking and overclocking warnings.
(7) Compatible with: AMD RadeonTM GCN Products. Supports: Windows® 7/10
(8) Compatible with: AMD RadeonTM GCN products in supported DirectX®9 and DirectX®11 games for Windows® 7/10