Liquid GPU Cooling for the Masses? NZXT Releases the Kraken G12
CLCs (Closed-Loop-Coolers) are all the rage today and quite honestly, I’m a pretty big fan of them. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the performance and quality in a custom cooling loop, but CLCs make liquid cooling extremely easy for a wide range of builders out there. GPUs can also benefit immensely from liquid, but installing loops on video cards can be a bit trickier. It looks like NZXT is trying to help with the release of their Kraken G12 mounting kit. Not only does it look pretty simple, but the concept of turning a CPU cooler into a GPU one is a great idea, especially when it’s compatible with multiple products.
The idea behind the G12 is genius when you think about it. NZXT simply designed a bracket that clicks on to the pump head, just like the one that typically comes with units like the Kraken. When you realize that many CLCs share the same OEM in Asetek or CoolIT, it makes sense that NZXT could pull this off. Top the unit off with a fan to help keep the rest of the video card components cooled down and you have a pretty simple way to put a high end graphics card under liquid. I’d still recommend using a Kraken unit with that awesome RGB mirror design, but you might be able to re-purpose an older CLC you have lying around.
If you still want more details on the Kraken G12, check below for features, images and a link to NZXT’s site. The asking price of $29.99 seems like a pretty great deal as well. Let us know what you think in the forums and we’ll look forward to seeing what NZXT has in store for us next!
- Quickly mount any Kraken Series liquid cooler onto graphics cards with the Kraken G12 mounting kit. It delivers a 40% increase in cooling capacity over stock cooling, and features a newly designed bracket with an easier installation process versus the Kraken G10. Plus, the G12 is compatible with more than 30 liquid coolers on the market.
- Supports the latest Kraken X42/X52/X62
- Convert GPU’s stock cooling to liquid cooling with 40% increase in cooling capacity
- Supports both AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards–reference and non-reference design
- Compatible with over 30 liquid coolers and 40 different GPUs
- 92mm fan for active VRM cooling with space for aftermarket VRM heatsinks