Iomega Announces StorCenter ix2-200 NAS
Available in 1 TB, 2 TB and 4 TB capacities, the new ix2-200 utilizes a very simple four-step setup to be operational in a matter of minutes – be it in a business setting or in the digital home.
Starting at less than $270.00, the ix2-200 employs an easy-to-understand interface to provide robust data management and protection for the serious business user, as well as the latest in multimedia serving and remote access features that makes it a breeze to access your own data, whether in the office, the home, or anywhere else in the world.
Among the standout business features of the new StorCenter ix2-200:
- Device-to-device replication for business continuity and file recovery
- iSCSI block-level access for efficient storage utilization
- RAID 1 configurations for optimized data protection
- Windows Active Directory support
- A new front panel QuikTransfer button for easy copying of selected files
- User replaceable hard drives
- Multiple IP security camera support
- And for the forward-thinking small business, VMware certification for virtualization installations.
The new StorCenter ix2-200 also has a treasure trove of features for the digital home, including:
- A DLNA certified UPnP AV Media Server that makes the ix2-200 the central repository for serving up all your movies, pictures, music and other files to any compatible device on your network
- Serves as a Time Machine target for Apple computer backups
- Built-in torrent support for file-sharing without the need for a dedicated PC
- Bluetooth capability for uploading all kinds of digital content from a smart phone
- Cooliris slide show plug-in allows for easy photo viewing
- And remote access to the ix2-200 from anywhere in the world
The new StorCenter ix2-200 is definitely the easiest to use small office and consumer network storage appliance in the marketplace today, Combining EMC’s world class enterprise storage and security technologies with advanced media serving features makes the ix2-200 a versatile and affordable NAS appliance that gives smaller organizations, work groups and home users not only cost-effective and robust network storage but some of the same sophisticated data management capabilities as a Fortune 100 corporation – but without any need for IT experience, said Jonathan Huberman, president of Iomega and the Consumer and Small Business Products Division of EMC. The new Iomega StorCenter ix2-200 NAS appliance is now available in the Americas and Europe from retailers, VARs and IT resellers, including valued Iomega partner CDW.
When it comes to managing and protecting digital content, small businesses today face many of the same challenges as much larger organizations. Iomega’s new StorCenter ix2-200 delivers cost-effective network storage with advanced enterprise features at extremely affordable prices. For the budget conscious small business with a need for dependable network storage that is easy to setup and maintain without any internal IT expertise, the compact StorCenter ix2-200 offers a great value proposition, which makes it a viable data storage and back-up solution for our customers, said Matt Troka, vice president, Product & Partner Management, CDW Corporation.
The Little Compact Desktop NAS Appliance with Lots of Capabilities
The new StorCenter ix2-200 NAS desktop appliance utilizes the acclaimed EMC LifeLine software, a fully-developed Linux operating environment and suite of applications that is designed for cross-platform support with Windows, Mac and Linux computers.
The LifeLine operating system presents a simple-to-use graphical interface that makes it easy to perform valuable business tasks while remaining confident that your data is securely stored, protected, and accessible whenever and wherever you need it.
Small office users will enjoy the ix2-200’s fast Gigabit Ethernet connectivity and high-performance embedded architecture, which boosts productivity by making data readily accessible and secure over a local network at the office or in the home. The ix2-200 also boasts the versatility of three USB 2.0 ports for adding printers or additional storage capacity with external USB drives.
Key Features of the StorCenter ix2-200 NAS Appliance
The new ix2-200 NAS appliance’s many features make it one of the most advanced, innovative and easy-to-use double-drive network storage devices available today. Among the features:
- Device-to-Device Replication (copy jobs): Copy or backup files to and from the ix2-200 to any other NAS or USB-attached storage device without the need for a client computer. Jobs can be set to run at pre-determined schedule or at the touch of the ix2-200’s new QuikTransfer button. The ix2-200 uses either the rsync or Windows File Sharing protocol to transfer data between itself and another network storage device.
- iSCSI Support: Provides block-level access for the most efficient storage utilization, especially for database, email and backup application performance. This feature also allows host-based operating systems and virtualization software to use the full capabilities of their native file systems, such as enabling VMFS for VMware utilization.
- VMware Ready Certification: The ix2-200 is certified as both NAS (NFS) and iSCSI storage for VMware ESX Server 3.5 and 4.0 vSphere. The ix2-200 is listed on the VMware hardware compatibility list, enabling small offices and work groups to affordably take advantage of the benefits and advanced features offered by shared storage in a VMware environment. The ix2-200 is the ideal storage match for smaller virtualization deployments that use the new VMware vSphere Essentials and vSphere Essentials Plus software packages.
- Remote Access: Set up remote access and remotely manage and access pictures, videos, work files and other digital data on the ix2-200 from anywhere in the world. Just enter a personalized web address into any browser for easy downloading and uploading of files securely.
- RAID Support: RAID 1 with automatic RAID rebuild for data redundancy and protection. Single volume (JBOD) mode also available.
- Multiple Network Protocols: Works in Windows, Linux and Mac environments with network protocol support including CIFS/SMB/Rally, NFS, and AFP/Bonjour. The ix2-200 also supports advanced protocols such as HTTP, FTP and SNMP.
- Time Machine Support: Lets Apple users easily backup to the ix2-200 with Mac computers running OS X (10.5 or later) using Time Machine.
- Windows Active Directory Support: Allows the ix2-200 to function as a client member in an Active Directory domain, giving users and groups access to the ix2-200.
- Uninterruptible Power Supply Support: Enables unattended system shutdown without data loss in the case of power failure.
- Gigabit Ethernet: high speed connectivity with jumbo frame support
- Video Surveillance: Connect up to five Axis Network video cameras for real-time monitoring and video capture, without the need of a dedicated computer (dependent upon system workload and network conditions). The ix2-200 can be used as a storage target for other network surveillance cameras as well.
- Print Server: Supports intelligent print sharing capability for up to three USB printers directly connected to the ix2-200.
- UPnP AV/DLNA Certified Media Server: Compatible with UPnP and DLNA certified media players, the ix2-200 streams photos, audio content and videos to not only laptops and computers but a variety of media devices, including game consoles (Xbox 360, Sony PlayStation 3), audio bridges, iTunes players, networked digital picture frames and other compatible devices.
- Bluetooth capability: Allows users to upload contacts, photos and more from a cell phone, pocket PC or Blackberry phone (Bluetooth USB adapter required, sold separately).
- Photo Slideshow: Integrated utility based on Cooliris technology for quick browsing and sharing of pictures stored on the ix2-200 to both local and remote users.
- Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP): Supports no touch, automatic transfer of photos from digital cameras via one of the four USB 2.0 ports on the ix2-200.
- Versatility: Supports read and write on various formats, including FAT32, NTFS or ext2/ext3 formatted hard disks; also supports HFS+ (ready only).
Backup and Security Software for a Complete Solution
The StorCenter ix2-200 provides data backup and protection for any number of desktops and laptops with integrated EMC Retrospect Express backup software. During the set-up process, users choose files and folders for scheduled automatic backups. After that, any changes or additions are updated and saved automatically.
For data security, the ix2-200 also includes RSA BSAFE encryption security technology for protecting installs and upgrades from viruses or malware. RSA is the security division of EMC that protects digital data at many of the world’s largest banks.
A Power Saving “Green” NAS Appliance
The StorCenter ix2-200 utilizes such power saving features as automatic hard drive spin down when the ix2-200 isn’t copying or serving up data, power consumption “green” hard disk drives, and an Energy Star certified power supply. All of these features ensure the most efficient or minimal power consumption.
The StorCenter ix2-200 is compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and Linux PCs. The interface is localized in 11 supported languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, German, and Russian).
Price and Availability and Warranty
The new 1TB StorCenter ix2-200 NAS appliance is now available in the Americas and Europe for $269.99, the 2TB model is now available for $369.99, and the 4TB model, which will be available later this month, is $699.99. (All prices are U.S. suggested retail.) All three capacities of the new StorCenter ix2-200 will be available in Asia in November. The StorCenter ix2-200 is backed by a three-year warranty (with product registration).