X1800 XT Overtakes 7800 GTX Running 1600×1200 with 4xAA and 8xAF
Eric Demeres runs the chip design team at ATI.?He has?now confirmed?some details behind the memory mapping?performance leap in OpenGL.
- This change is for the X1K family only
- The X1Ks have a new programmable memory controller and gfx subsystem mapping.
- A simple set of new memory controller programs gave a huge boost to memory BW limited cases, such as AA (need to test AF).
- We measured 36% performance improvements on D3 @ 4xAA/high res.
- This has nothing to do with the rendering (which is identical to before).
X800’s also have partially programmable MC’s, so we might?see increases in performance?in the near future. According to Eric Demeres, It’s still not optimal -?"The work space we have to optimize memory settings and gfx mappings is immense. It will take us some time to really get the performance closer to maximum. But that’s why we designed a new programmable MC.
We are only at the beginning of the tuning for the X1K’s"